Friday, January 23, 2009

Home

It's been three weeks since i've been home. I miss it. I know three weeks doesn't seem long for all of you who come from the East Coast or Sabah and Sarawak, but it's still considerably long for my standards. You can call me a baby and i won't blame you for it. I know i'm such a spoiled brat but i don't care..

Don't get me wrong though, I love being away from home. I enjoy being independent and doing things on my own-- but I'm still human and i can't help but miss the smell of flowers in my garden. It's true what people always (unoriginally) say about home-- home is where the heart is. Definitely. It's a well-worn and cliched quote, but then again some things are cliched because they are true.

Apart from the usual things one would miss--family, friends, cats, smelly pillow...
i really missed my old room. It's purple and full of my old sketchbooks and diaries.
There's always something about home that makes you feel safe, protected, and all warm and fuzzy inside. In my room especially, I feel this. I also dearly missed the old pillow on my old bed-- it's the same pillow that stood by me while i was staying up late studying for SPM, the same pillow which i hugged when i felt alone, the same pillow who listened attentively while i ungratefully complained about life. It's funny how sometimes i miss objects more than living things. Tsk2.

What's interesting is, I watched on 'Oprah' once that you can know what kind of person someone is just by looking at their rooms. I guess when you look at my room, you can tell by the heaps of novels and sketcbooks stacked on the table that i love language and i enjoy daydreaming (to a dangerously addictive extent it's not even funny..).
It's cramped and fully occupied with useless things, so i guess it's saying that i have a messy, unorganised and saturated mind.. hmm? I always leave the curtains down, so i guess i'm shy?
But then again, who knows if all this psychological mumbo jumbo is even valid or not; sometimes you see only what you want to see...
And sometimes you can't see what you should see.

Oh, i forgot to mention that my hometown is Shah Alam, Selangor. It's a peaceful suburb, nothing much to shout about, but i love it for it's ordinary-ness. The malls are lame and there's no cinema here, so really, the least boring thing to do is visit the park. I used to jog there almost every day with my friend, but i guess now i'll just stroll around and watch people, since i'm really lazy when it comes to excercise nowadays. i blame AUSMAT. (because i don't want to blame myself.)

I've been living in Shah Alam for 16 years, and to be honest, nothing much has changed. Apart from a few additional malls here and there, Shah Alam's still the same old suburb i've known since I was three. Eventhough it was awarded the status of "bandaraya" (city) a few years back, i've never really seen it as a "city" . Shah Alam's always been Shah Alam--my modest, boring, peaceful, uninteresting home. And i like it that way.

But then again, even if my hometown hasn't changed, I certainly have. I've grown up to be 18, and i'm grateful to have lived until this age, and learned the things i've learned, and experienced the things i've experienced.
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered --Nelson Mandela
It's true. Living on my own, I've learned a lot, and there are, of course, many more things for me to learn. But the things i have learned has made me more mature, more independent, and infinitely more thankful for what i have. (take note of the word "more". Just because i said i'm "more" mature doesn't mean that i'm "mature". It just means that i'm less immature.. hehe.)

I've been given a week of holidays and i'm gonna use it to the fullest at home. The assignments are piling up, and the abundance of homework given to me by my diabolical lecturers is frightening, but i'm home, and I don't want to think about it too much. For now, i'm gonna sleep in my room, on my old bed, accompanied by my old pillow, in my home sweet home.

I'm content..~

PS- Hope all of you have a great holiday! Also, Happy Chinese New Year to my Chinese friends and lecturers! May prosperity shine on you all~~~Gong Xi Fa Chai..

2 comments:

  1. emm...
    concerning the picture on the left
    er....(extended)
    im not sure thats the same table like the one in 69...
    where's the junk and stuff thats always there?
    hoho~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahha.. NANA.
    How DARE you expose the real me in front of mr derrick?? ^.^

    Why YES.. There's always a lot of "junks" called BOOKS on my study table. Coz i'm RAJEN gla... hahaha.

    ReplyDelete